[Foundation-l] On curiosity, cats and scapegoats

Andrew Garrett agarrett at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 14 13:54:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Kim Bruning <kim at bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> The end game for this strategy of giving every (sub-) culture their own
> subset of the images and/or text (when every medium agrees all at once),
> and where everyone lives past each other is actually well known and well
> studied:
>        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillarization
>
> Due to my knowing the historical context, I would actually prefer that
> people were confronted by cultural differences and have a healthy
> dialogue about them, to prevent or mitigate pillarization.

I think you're taking the use of an image filter to a bizarre
absolute. There *are* shades of grey here. My understanding of the
proposal is that it people will voluntarily have certain images that
have the potential to cause offense hidden by default, with a
click-to-show. When somebody starts saying that they want meaningfully
different article content for every country or point of view, then I
think you'd be justified in bringing this up.

--
Andrew Garrett
Wikimedia Foundation
agarrett at wikimedia.org