[Foundation-l] Minor projects withering and dying? Really?

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Tue Sep 13 13:11:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:55:37 +0200, David Richfield
<davidrichfield at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the discussion of the Wikinews fork (may they thrive), I picked up
> some comments predicting the death of Wiktionary and Wikiquote,
> referring to the low numbers of regular contributors.
>
> I don't think that means the projects are dying: I'm an infrequent
> contributor to both of those projects, and every time I go there,
> they're better.  Wikiquote is continually improving in coverage and
> accuracy, and Wiktionary has recently gotten new features (e.g. a
> separate citations tab) and is also going forward.  People are
> checking recent changes: last time I edited Wiktionary, I was adding
> citations to an article where the current list was in reverse
> chronological order, and I was too lazy to change it, thinking
> "someone else can fix this".  Before I got to the third citation,
> someone had fixed the sequence.

I am not a Wictionary contributor but I was never able to understand why
we have Wictionaries in different language, though a big part of those seem
to be translations on other languages, and they overlap. Would it not be
advantageous to have just one Wictionary (as we have just one Commons)?

Sorry for the ignorant question, there might be obvious reasons why they
should not be the same.

Cheers
Yaroslav