[Foundation-l] Minor projects withering and dying? Really?

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Tue Sep 13 13:06:59 UTC 2011

2011/9/13 David Richfield <davidrichfield at gmail.com>:
> I don't think that means the projects are dying: I'm an infrequent
> contributor to both of those projects, and every time I go there,
> they're better.

Absolutely true. In the last year or so i've been using English,
Dutch, French, Spanish, Polish, Czech, Lithunian and Catalan
Wiktionaries more and more and i find them really useful and reliable.

What i would like to see, however, is two main things:

* More collaboration and sharing of tools between different language
versions of each project. For example, the citation tab and the "Add
translation" gadget, which make the English Wiktionary so much better,
should be available in all language versions.

* More mentions of non-Wikipedia projects in all the online and
real-life forums - mailing lists, meetups, Wikimania, hackathons, etc.
It mostly depends on the people behind the projects - they should just
speak up! (Personal example: I wanted to make a big presentation about
Wikisource in Haifa, but was too busy organizing the actual event; I
hope to do it in DC.) But it also depends on the leaders - Jimmy, Sue
and the Board members could mention the other projects more in their
talks ;-)

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬