[Foundation-l] (IRC questions with tempodivalse) Re: A Wikimedia project has forked

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 12 22:51:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:58:33PM +0200, Kim Bruning wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 03:50:55PM -0500, Tempodivalse wrote:
> > Greetings everyone,
>
> Heya Tempodivalse,
>
> I understand that a lot of this fork is due to personality
> conflicts, rather than with WMF itself? That's be a bit of a
> <phew> to know WMF weren't the folks causing the trouble.

<Tempodivalse> OK, well, the primary reasons for us forking were that we did not like the attitudes that en.wikinews regulars had.
<Tempodivalse> and that we felt instruction creep had taken over the project, bringing excess bureaucracy
<kim_bruning> was there no way to break off without forking?
<Tempodivalse> No. I don't want to bash anyone in particular, but the remaining admins/crats are generally very wary to any proposed changes
<Tempodivalse> and tend to regard non-Wikinewsies as people whose opinions are to be discounted as uninformed
<Tempodivalse> A few days ago I pointed out the project had reached record-low activity levels and held them for six months - and was shouted down
<Tempodivalse> nobody seemed to realise there was a problem, much less address it.

(posted with permission)

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning