[Foundation-l] A Wikimedia project has forked

M. Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 21:57:49 UTC 2011

I do believe it means exactly that.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Special:ActiveUsers includes all users with at
least 1 edit in the last 30 days; that seems like a really low threshold
though. I took the liberty of collecting some data based on that page:

- 23 users with at least 30 edits in the last 30 days (= average 1 edit/day)
- 8 users with at least 100 edits in the last 30 days
- 2 users with at least 300 edits in the last 30 days ("super active"):
Brian McNeil and Pi zero

I was a bit shocked to see these numbers myself. Seems rather low,
especially considering Wikinews is not like Wikipedia, where you only need a
handful of active users at one time to work on articles, but rather requires
high activity all the time to be a successful news outlet. English Wikinews
is, in my opinion, a failed project, at least currently. I have tried on
several occasions to switch to Wikinews as my primary news source, each time
I end up asking myself why on earth I did such a thing because it's almost
useless for people who want to stay informed about current events.