[Foundation-l] PG rating

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 10:41:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:44 AM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:

> I remember once at the local college library, Adams State, in Alamosa,
> that they had Girl on a Swing in the children's collection.

At my secondary school library (er, I think that's 'high school' for
the US equivalent) we were given a tour of the library in the first
year.

We were given some time to look around and a fellow pupil told me that
the teacher had a book that showed photos of violent deaths. I "went
mad" as that fellow pupil later described it: I immediately dashed
over to see this book the teacher was holding. I had a very morbid
curiosity about such things. I learned that this book was kept in a
special locked room and only brought out on request (not that the
request was always granted). I'm surprised now that I didn't take more
interest in the locked room and make it a mission to see all the books
kept in there.

Which brings me to the thought that I'm sure that if we tag images
deemed to be offensive there'll be a constituency of kids that
immediately gravitate towards seeing as many of those images as
possible, either because we've made it easier to do so or because
someone outside of Wikipedia writes a list hosted off-site for all to
see.

I'm not saying that's a reason to not have a filter. Just that I see
it having the above effect.

Bod