[Foundation-l] PG rating

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Thu Sep 8 01:44:02 UTC 2011

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Marc A. Pelletier <marc at uberbox.org>
> wrote:
>> On 07/09/2011 11:17 AM, Bod Notbod wrote:
>>> [...] but I'm even less keen on parents telling their
>>> children they can't use Wikipedia [...]
>>>

>> It's not the first time I see this meme expressed.
>>
>> Is there a reliable source somewhere that shows that (a) this
>> represents
>> a significant number of parents over several cultural groups, and that
>> (b) there is serious indication that if (a) is true those same parents
>> are going to change their stance given the proposed implementation of
>> the image filter?
>>
>> Because, unless we got some serious statistical backing for those
>> assertions, they are just smoke blowing our of asses to the sound of
>> "but think of the children!"
>
> Are there are pages on English Wikipedia that should be classified as PG?
>
> --
> John Vandenberg

We serve a global and universal audience. Of course there are articles
that many parents would not want their children viewing. There is not
much we can do about that. What we can do is ensure that they do not
contain gratuitous, unneeded, offensive material.

I remember once at the local college library, Adams State, in Alamosa,
that they had Girl on a Swing in the children's collection.

The plot, to spoil it, is that a young woman, in order to marry someone
who doesn't want children, kills her child. Pretty much a modern Grimm's
Fairy Tale. Yet, I'm not sure it didn't belong in the young adult's
section of a childrens collection.

Children have a right to know about the world they live in, to know about
child abuse, pedophiles, anal sex, and mass murder by leaders millions of
people worship.

Fred