[Foundation-l] PG rating

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 8 02:19:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 12:15:00PM +1000, John Vandenberg wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Many countries have different rating schemes for movies, television, video
> > games, and other media.
>
> Sure there are a lot of possible problems, but I am wondering if we
> have any concrete examples for us to consider.  It may inform debate
> to talk about real content pages on a Wikipedia project which should
> be rated, either by law or on a voluntary/best practice basis.

Pages on wikipedia should not be rated. Ratings are per definition
a prejudicial labelling scheme, they are given as an example of such
a scheme by ALA. ALA classifies such rating schemes as "Censorship tools".

The canadian and international library associations have similar
definitions.

Censorship and the tools thereto are evil. Our objective is to
promote information that is free as in freedom of speech. Wikipedia
is a constructive and friendly way to achieve this goal.

I would prefer to attain my goals in constructive and friendly ways
(obviously). I would prefer not to work in unfriendly ways, or
outright destructive ways.

If you want to promote a rating scheme, please do so elsewhere.

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning

--
[Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key  FEF9DD72