[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 14:55:23 UTC 2011

On 7 September 2011 10:48, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> <snip>

> The closest we could come to a neutral filtering system is an easily
> accessible on/off switch for images.

Interestingly, this proposal has come up many times completely separate to
the issue of image filtering.  Many users, particularly those on dial-up
systems or those whose billing is related to the amount of data accessed
have asked for this ability for some time. For them it is a performance/cost
issue, and has nothing to do with filtering. Given some of the arguments
that have been made in opposition to filtering, particularly those that seem
to focus on "the content should be displayed in the way the authors
intended", I'm concerned there would be equally significant opposition to
even this simple matter.

Risker/Anne