[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 14:48:08 UTC 2011

On 7 September 2011 15:40, Thomas Morton <morton.thomas at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I confess to not being "on top" of the exact mechanics of this proposal...
> but why can we not be using normal categories?
> Ok so for ease of use it is sensible to consider pre-made "bundles" of
> commonly filtered images (and I can see the issues there, obviously).
> But for the default use filtering on categories is fine... then we can us
> the normal Wiki system and stick to neutrality (Don't like English Churches?
> Fine, add it to your exclusion list :))

* The category system is constructed of minute subcategories, not
broad categories that are then combined.

You could then say "this and everything under it." But then you run into:

* The category system is not very consistent.
* The category system is not free of loops.
* An image on en:wp could be a local image (one system of categories)
or a Commons image (a completely different system of categories).

Thus, to use categories for an image filtering system would indeed
require constructing a category for the specific purpose of exclusion.
Big ALA "actually, that *is* censorship" alarm goes off.

The closest we could come to a neutral filtering system is an easily
accessible on/off switch for images.

- d.