[Foundation-l] On curiosity, cats and scapegoats

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 12:29:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:22, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 September 2011 09:15, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We need to stop wasting time and energy on personal wishes of two
>> Board members. As it isn't about removing the content, any solution is
>> better than wasting willingness on one nonconstructive and decadent
>> project. If that time and energy was spent on rewriting Parser, we
>> would have WYSIWYG editor a year or two ago.
>
> Although I broadly agree with the rest of your message, I disagree
> with the Parser bit on the end - basically, the parser rewrite had to
> pass muster with someone at Brion or Tim level, as there's not really
> anyone else who would be able to say "these bits of syntax are out"
> and have it stick; and since I suspect Tim would rather spork his eyes
> out than read the words "parser rewrite" ever again, getting Brion in
> to work on it was the only way to make it go forward. Developer effort
> is not fungible in the face of politics :-)

I had in my mind organizational efforts, mostly. However, I saw that
at least one tech employee is against the filter, as well as Tim is in
favor. So, they already waste their time. (Said so, I think that
important value of WMF is exactly the fact that their employees are
able to freely express their positions.)