[Foundation-l] On curiosity, cats and scapegoats

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 15:30:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 15:54, Sarah Stierch <sarah.stierch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Logically, we have the solution: If Board really cares what Concerned
>> Women for America think, let it, please, implement that filter on
>> English Wikipedia and leave the rest of the projects alone -- if they
>> don't ask for the filter explicitly. As members of that organization
>> probably don't know any other language except English, everybody will
>> be happy. Except the core editors of English Wikipedia, of course. But
>> Board doesn't care about them, anyway; which means that English
>> Wikipedia is reasonable scapegoat for Wikimedia movement to please
>> sexually impaired Americans and others.
>>

> I think this moves beyond just one organization. As a "concerned feminist"
> who "lives in America" the idea of calling the women who support the
> referendum, aren't into bad porn on Commons, and tacky use of sexualized
> images on articles as "educational" when they really aren't, "sexually
> impaired" - is beyond sexist.  Unless, perhaps, I'm mis-understanding your
> post.

Thanks to Fred, I've realized that it seems that you misread my email.
My sarcastic example related to particular organization, not to
"concerned women/feminists from America". The organization is called
"Concerned Women for America" [1]. They started the whole drama in
2008 [2].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concerned_Women_for_America
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Killer#Internet_censorship