[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Tue Sep 6 12:33:10 UTC 2011

On 06/09/11 19:22, Oliver Moran wrote:
> I think the most important line from the analysis is the question, "What
> comes next?" As there was no question that asked the community if this
> feature was desirable or wanted, what does come next? Will this feature be
> implemented? If so, is it being implemented with community assent? What was
> the purpose of this "referendum" and what decision was arrived at through
> it?

There's a Board resolution that says "implement it", so I suppose it
will be implemented.

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Controversial_content

However, the editor community could sabotage it in various ways. For
example, there's no guarantee that anyone will tag any images, or that
tagged images won't be untagged by bots run by administrators. If the
Board really does want a useful image-hiding feature, then it's
essential that the community be persuaded that it is a good idea.

Personally, I think the filter will be mostly harmless, and that it's
not worth the effort to rail against it. It will be useful for PR --
it will seem as if we are trying to accomodate all points of view even
if the feature is not particularly useful for parents.

-- Tim Starling