[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 20:35:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's only true if there is general agreement that the feature would be
> nice to have and there is just a question of whether it is worth the effort.
> That it not the case here.

The referendum was pretty clearly predicated on the basis that the
feature was going forward:

"The Board of Trustees has directed the Wikimedia Foundation to
develop and implement a personal image hiding feature."

"[The referendum was held] to gather more input in to the development
and usage of an opt-in personal image hiding feature".

And from the resolution:

"We ask the Executive Director, in consultation with the community, to
develop and implement a personal image hiding feature..."

(not "We ask the Executive Director, so long as the
can't-recognise-the-irony-in-fighting-censorship-by-stopping-people-choosing-what-they-want-to-see
crowd gives their blessing, to develop and implement...")

The questions are all relating to the development of the feature, save
for the 'culturally neutral' question: the first is about how to
prioritise it, and the others are about setting out the specs for the
feature.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com