[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 17:39:53 UTC 2011

On 5 September 2011 14:57, Juergen Fenn <juergen.fenn at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 04.09.11 22:18 schrieb Kim Bruning:
>
>> * There's nothing wrong with the filter program itself
>
> That's wrong. What's wrong with the whole programme is that the
> Foundation did not ask Wikimedians whether they liked to have it or not
> They just did it. Period. Now, it will be there soon, and the whole
> "referendum" indeed was not about introducing the filter or not, but
> rather about what kind of filter you liked most (i.e., a red, or a green
> one, rather)? This is no way to run a community these days. We want to
> participate and we want to have a say in these things.

Let's be clear, here: the WMF hasn't done anything yet. This feature
has not been implemented. Everyone agreed there should be some
community consultation and that's what this poll was supposed to be.
If the poll had been done properly, we wouldn't have a problem. The
only problem is the the poll was so poorly designed that it will need
to be completely re-done to draw any useful conclusions.