[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia Brasil + WMF

Kropotkine_113 Kropotkine113 at free.fr
Fri Sep 2 17:23:18 UTC 2011

Le jeudi 01 septembre 2011 à 16:37 +0100, Jimmy Wales a écrit :
> I had never thought of this before, but now that it has been mentioned,
> I just wanted to disagree, quite respectfully because Ray is awesome of
> course, and say that I think it is a very interesting idea to have a WMF
> appointee on the boards of chapters.

Oh. First it seems that the Foundation aims at centralize all the
fundraising and control Chapters' activity by the way of a imposed grant
agreement, and then the Foundation could have an appointee on each
chapter's board... It would be very simplier (even if not safer) to open
official WMF's desks every where...

Nice moves but what about the legal and fiscal issues implied by the
presence of a WMF appointee on the board ? It would be just a little bit
harder to explain that the chapters « are independent associations »,
isn't it ?

Does the Foundation really want to have subsidiaries in more than 30
countries and undertake all the legal and fiscal risks ?