[Foundation-l] Show community consensus for Wikilove

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Sun Oct 30 10:15:03 UTC 2011

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:27:30 +0200, Nickanc Wikipedia
<nickanc.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> IMHO, Wikilove is something so important about wikipedia's ethics and
> behaviour that shall be in every wiki. IMHO.

I absolutely disagree. Wikipedia ethics and behavior encourage thanking
the contributors, but it can be done in many ways, not necessarily with a
barnstar (or with a laurel, or a lotus flower, or whatever is appropriate).
There are many users with the template of a barnstar-free zone, and they
obviously do not want barnstars. Along the same line of reasoning, I see
that 99% of admins use template warnings which I hate and I never used any
template warning except for copyright violation when I was still an admin.
In my opinion, getting a template warning is pretty much the same as
talking to a bot. Barnstars are a different issue, but barnstar-free zones
are not for nothing. If one has a wikilove sign hanging on a top of the
page, one is more likely to click it than to go to the user talk page and
write a real thank you message.

Cheers
Yaroslav