[Foundation-l] Show community consensus for Wikilove

Fae fae at wikimedia.org.uk
Sun Oct 30 07:18:49 UTC 2011

There is a general view amongst Wikipedia admins that excessive
templating on user pages is poor practice. I frequently use an initial
(customized) welcome template for new users and do use standard user
warning templates for vandalism, though not for "regulars". However
these templates are not available to brand new users as tools such as
Twinkle will only be discovered after an editor has had a chance to
learn the basics.

Wikilove has been implemented differently as a user sees the tab as
another early toy to play with and we now see a lot of new users
trying it out on their own talk pages as their first edit. At the
moment Wikilove works on an opt-out basis rather than an opt-in basis.

PROPOSAL

Let's change the Wikilove tab to only be visible to users after their
first 10 edits. Before this point, it is unlikely that new users will
be able to use templates in a meaningful way and this would also help
to keep the interface as simple as possible for the first few edits
made and targeted more on article content rather than user page fluff.

Cheers,
Fae