[Foundation-l] On certain shallow, American-centered, foolish software initiatives backed by WMF

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 02:38:09 UTC 2011

I think you deserve a barnstar (made via Wiki-love of course!) for that :-)
I've never really liked "Mank", but I do like a spread of some "Ind" with my
tea in the morning.

Seriously though... in Wikilove can't the logo (the heart) and all of the
individual awards (barnstars, food, animals) be changed on a per-wiki basis?
So if there's an icon that's more culturally appropriate in a different
language then it can be changed to that instead. If I recall correctly, the
Burmese Wikipedia uses "lotuses" (rather than barnstars) and the French
Wikipedia uses laurel wreaths. In those cases, for example, not only can
those awards be used instead of barnstars but a little icon of a lotus or a
laurel wreath could easily be used instead of a pink heart icon.

The point being that "leaving friendly messages with cute invented awards on
talkpages" is not an en.wp or American specific activity - most (all?) of
the different language wikis have something equivalent. All the WikiLove
tool does is make it easier to do and if the local community wants to use it
but wants to change the way the tool looks/feels then I don't think there's
any problem with that.

-Liam