[Foundation-l] News from Germany: White Bags and thinking about a fork

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 21:27:46 UTC 2011

On 22 October 2011 22:23, Nikola Smolenski <smolensk at eunet.rs> wrote:

> I wanted to say this for a long time, and now seems like a good
> opportunity. I see this as a tyranny of the majority. I understand that
> a large majority of German Wikipedia editors are against the filter. But
> even if 99.99% of editors are against the filter, well, it is opt-in and
> they don't have to use it. But why would they prevent me from using it,
> if I want to use it?

Because a non-neutral filter would have to warp the project around
itself to work at all, as has been detailed at length here (and
everywhere). Thus, making the option available would carry significant
side-effects.

A neutral all-or-nothing image filter would not have such side effects
(and would also neatly help low bandwidth usage).

- d.