[Foundation-l] News from Germany: White Bags and thinking about a fork

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.rs
Sat Oct 22 21:23:10 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-22 at 21:16 +0100, David Gerard wrote:
> "Both the opinion poll itself and its proposal were accepted. In
> contrary to the decision of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia
> Foundation, personal image filters should not be introduced in
> German-speaking wikipedia and categories for these filters may not be
> created for files locally stored on this wikipedia. 260 of 306 users
> (84.97 percent) accepted the poll as to be formally valid. 357 of 414
> users (86.23 percent) do not agree to the introduction of a personal
> image filter and categories for filtering in German wikipedia."

I wanted to say this for a long time, and now seems like a good
opportunity. I see this as a tyranny of the majority. I understand that
a large majority of German Wikipedia editors are against the filter. But
even if 99.99% of editors are against the filter, well, it is opt-in and
they don't have to use it. But why would they prevent me from using it,
if I want to use it?