[Foundation-l] News from Germany: White Bags and thinking about a fork

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sat Oct 22 20:31:06 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
<cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> There has always been a consensus that what you are
> proposing is evil and against what we as a non-profit free content
> site stand for.

What am I proposing, Jussi-Ville? So far, the only material proposal
I've made as part of this debate is here:

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2011-September/069077.html

And, I don't think you're being accurate, historically or otherwise.
Arabic and Hebrew Wikipedia have implemented their own "personal image
hiding feature" (http://ur1.ca/5g81t and http://ur1.ca/5g81w), and
even paintings like "The Origin of the World" are hidden by default
(!) e.g. in Hebrew Wikipedia ( http://ur1.ca/5g81c ) , or images of
the founder of the Bahai faith in Arabic Wikipedia (
http://ur1.ca/5g81s ).

Do you think that the Hebrew and Arabic Wikipedians who implemented
these templates are evil?

Do you think that it is evil to leave it up to editors whether they
want to implement similar collapsing on a per-article basis (and to
leave it up to communities to agree on policies around that)? Because
that's what I'm proposing. And I don't think it's particularly evil,
nor inconsistent with our traditions.

Erik