[Foundation-l] News from Germany: White Bags and thinking about a fork

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 20:13:23 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Dirk Franke
> <dirkingofranke at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> And people who talked privately about a fork for some time, start to think
>> and say it loud.
>
> Thanks for the update, Dirk. I think it's good that people are
> seriously discussing what it would mean to fork and how it would be
> done. Forking the project if WMF policies or decisions are considered
> unacceptable is one of the fundamental ways in which Wikimedia
> projects are different from most of the web; it's a key freedom, one
> which should be exercised judiciously but which should be preserved
> and protected nonetheless.
>
> With that said, I also think it's important to remember that Sue has
> explicitly affirmed that the development of any technical solution
> would be done in partnership with the community, including people
> who've expressed strong opposition to what's been discussed to date.
> [1]

I am sorry but this is purest echo chamber talk, you are dealing out.
You hear what you are saying, but you don't hear a thing anyone else
is saying, There has always been a consensus that what you are
proposing is evil and against what we as a non-profit free content
site
stand for. There has never been the slightest consensus we should
take one step on the road you want us to embark on. Period,

> The vote in German Wikipedia, and most of the discussions to date,
> have focused on the specific ideas and mock-ups that were presented as
> part of the referendum. But as Sue has made clear, those ideas and
> mock-ups are just that, and the Board resolution creates room for
> different ideas as well, ranging from the simple (disabling/blurring
> all images) to the complex (like a category-based filtering system).
>
> Some of these ideas are explored here:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image_filter_referendum/Next_steps/en#Potential_models_for_hiding_images
>
> Is there a similar brainstorming page on dewiki already? If not, would
> you be interested in organizing some community discussion on whether
> there are solutions within the scope of the resolution that the dewiki
> community would find acceptable, or whether the prevailing view is
> that the resolution itself should be scrapped altogether?

The resolution was always against long held perennial proposal
opposition. It never was going to fly. Walk away from the dead horse.