[Foundation-l] Is random article truly random

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 13:10:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Thomas Morton
<morton.thomas at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> > On Wikipedia this is called vandalism and trolling; and we *do* censor it
>> :)
>> >

>> No we don't and that is the whole point. We edit. We don't censor,
>

> We remove & suppress such material. This is censoring the troll/vandals
> contribution.
>
> I am sorry but you don't get to use a potential straw man and then defend it
> by redefining censorship of that material as "editing".
>
> As it is I don't really get the context of the point you were trying to
> make. In the story is the teacher Wikipedia? In which case we *are* doing
> more to stop penis images. Or are you trying to show that because she could
> handle these apparently offensive images and still continue to confront you
> that the world at large should have the same attitude to Wikipedia?
>
> Tom

Okay, We do not censor, because censorship is prior referral to a body
to approve publication. We edit live, so a priori we don't censor.
Very clear to anybody of a legal mind. We don't as a community
suppress material, there have been attempts to do so, but they have
all failed. We excercise editorial judgement where needed. Which is as
it should be.