[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Fae fae at wikimedia.org.uk
Tue Oct 11 15:25:18 UTC 2011

>> "...,a viable alternative to not relying blindly on the categorization
>> system, would be implementing a new "image reviewer" flag on en.wp and maybe
>> in commons. This method would create a list of reviewed images that can be
>> considered objectionable, that could be filtered/black-listed.
>
> We could also just delete them, unless someone actually uses them in a sensible way in an article. :-)
>
> sincerely,
>        Kim Bruning

Not on Commons; being "objectionable" to some viewers and not being
currently in use does not make a potentially educational image out of
scope. I have seen many poorly worded deletion requests on Commons on
the basis of a potentially useable image being "orphaned" rather than
it being unrealistic to expect it to ever be used for an educational
purpose.

Fae