[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Möller, Carsten c.moeller at wmco.de
Mon Oct 10 17:01:41 UTC 2011

> Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
> Mon Oct 10 11:16:21 UTC 2011
>
> But when it comes to discussing whether a specific illustration or media file should be added
> to an article, the one criterion nobody seems to raise is whether this is the type of image or
> video a reliably published educational source would include. Instead, we often hear that
> because Wikipedia is not censored, we *must* keep an image or media file in the article,
> *especially so* if it is controversial.

Quite on the contrary:
To include a specific image in a specific article is part of the editing process.
Everyone can follow this process in the history of the article.

To filter it away without regard of the context is still regarded as censorship by serious journalists.
It doesn't make much difference if the censor is part of the government or the owner of the publishing house.