[Foundation-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Stanton Foundation Awards Wikimedia $3.6 Million for Technology Improvements

church.of.emacs.ml church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 6 09:22:05 UTC 2011

Wow, that's great!

On 10/06/2011 05:13 AM, MZMcBride wrote:
> Is the grant restricted or unrestricted? (Is there a copy of the
> agreement somewhere?)

I'm not sure if it's any more restricted than the summary says:

>> The purpose of the grant is to fund major investments in the
>> technology infrastructure that supports Wikipedia and its sister
>> projects, in order to successfully serve their growing readership.

So basically "Tech Operations department".

WMF's spending plan says $12.4M on Technology 2011-2012:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=File:2011-12_Wikimedia_Foundation_Plan_FINAL_FOR_WEBSITE_.pdf&page=37
BUT, I suspect the majority of that $12.4M will go to Features/General
Engineering, not Tech Operations.

Oh, well, we could always use another data center ;P

--Tobias