[Foundation-l] Blackout at Italian Wikipedia

emijrp emijrp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 17:31:21 UTC 2011

2011/10/5 Michael Snow <wikipedia at frontier.com>

> On 10/5/2011 9:45 AM, emijrp wrote:
> >> When labor unions go on strike, they do more than not show up for work.
> >> They form picket lines and take other actions designed to obstruct
> >> activity so that company operations cannot proceed. Taken to its logical
> >> conclusion, if the Italian Wikipedia community collectively wants to go
> >> on strike, then what they have done is apply the full range of tools to
> >> carry that out.
> > Looks like you forget that as exists a right to strike, there is a right
> > work. Italian Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.
> > Yesterday, today? Sure.
> If there was a part of the Italian Wikipedia community insisting on
> preserving the ability to edit, this might be more relevant. But since
> the protest has started, the only voices I've seen speaking against the
> protest have been from outside that community. That seems to me like a
> persuasive indication about the level of consensus behind this decision.

It is not consensus, it is just a small number of users kidnapping the
content generated by a much bigger and fuzzy community.

The right to edit and the right to access to knowledge have been killed in
Italian Wikipedia.

They have done more harm than any China blockage or any stupid law.
Wikimedia projects are not secure to archive and spread knowledge anymore.