[Foundation-l] Blackout at Italian Wikipedia

Michael Snow wikipedia at frontier.com
Wed Oct 5 17:12:54 UTC 2011

On 10/5/2011 9:45 AM, emijrp wrote:
> 2011/10/5 Michael Snow<wikipedia at frontier.com>
>> On 10/5/2011 7:03 AM, Domas Mituzas wrote:
>>> Editor strike means not editing, it doesn't mean full service downtime.
>> When labor unions go on strike, they do more than not show up for work.
>> They form picket lines and take other actions designed to obstruct
>> activity so that company operations cannot proceed. Taken to its logical
>> conclusion, if the Italian Wikipedia community collectively wants to go
>> on strike, then what they have done is apply the full range of tools to
>> carry that out.
> Looks like you forget that as exists a right to strike, there is a right to
> work. Italian Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.
> Yesterday, today? Sure.
If there was a part of the Italian Wikipedia community insisting on
preserving the ability to edit, this might be more relevant. But since
the protest has started, the only voices I've seen speaking against the
protest have been from outside that community. That seems to me like a
persuasive indication about the level of consensus behind this decision.
Questions about crossing picket lines and the right to work are
interesting theoretical problems when using this analogy, but they
aren't presenting themselves under the current circumstances.

--Michael Snow