[Foundation-l] Blackout at Italian Wikipedia

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 4 13:23:10 UTC 2011

> Because of such a risk (it’s easily understandable that this rule will make
> encyclopedia articles as pure “frames” for unchangeable text imposed by
> others), the Italian community has decided, by a vast majority (see
> http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bar/Discussioni/Comma_29_e_Wikipedia
> )
>  to lock both read and write access to encyclopedia articles and to publish
> the following text as full screen sitenotice:
> http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utente:Vituzzu/comunicato (an English
> translation is available here:
> http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utente:Vituzzu/comunicato/en). This decision
> will be implemented as soon as possible, during the next 12 hours.

Being polite; I'd call that a serious overreaction. Akin to throwing the
baby out with the bath water!

I bought my tame Italian lunch and she likes me again; so deigned to have a
read of this law. As far as we can make out there doesn't seem to be a leg
to stand on.. or any real likelihood of risk to editors or content...

In the modern world countries love to try it on and apply their internet
laws across the world. Fortunately courts tend to give that short shrift.

> Which, at least, will mean incoming legal issues or inquiries to be
managed by WMF, withrelated expenses.

To the extent of a polite response saying "not a chance, sorry", and an
offer to hand them off to a volunteer to help resolve any issues. Which is
what happens at the moment :)
Tom