[Foundation-l] Blackout at Italian Wikipedia

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 4 13:02:23 UTC 2011

On 4 October 2011 13:56, Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/10/4 Thomas Morton <morton.thomas at googlemail.com>:
> > I think this is a prime opportunity to point out to those concerned:
> > Wikipedia is hosted in the US :) so no need to worry!
> >

> Are you sure? Contributors lives mainly in Italy, so they have to
> follow Italian law.

Unless I have mistaken the law (I admit my Italian is shaky at best, and my
tame Italian is in a mood with me)  this applies to websites, not people.

There does not seem to be any provision under the law to sue or otherwise
harass people that add stuff the company/individual etc. objects to.

I could be wrong; but this looks a lot like a case of getting an email
saying "make this change at once, under Italian law XXX" and us responding
"Actually, no, sorry - but can we work this out via discussion?"
Tom