[Foundation-l] Dead Sea Scrolls - if someone was to sue our reusers

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 14:53:37 UTC 2011

If the Museum of Israel or indeed anyone else was to sue someone reusing
data from a Wikimedia project, then obviously one would hope that the result
would endorse the community's view as to the copyright status of that data.
If a certain British art gallery told us they'd just discovered that one of
their Rembrandts was a Keating; Or if God turns up in Court, proves that he
or she is the author and insists on an incompatible copyright, (CC-by-nc-nd
if my limited knowledge of western monotheistic religions is correct). Then
I would hope we would treat the incident in the same way as any other
Goodfaith copyvio, and it would certainly give wikinews a unique perspective
if they were to cover the story primarily as a copyright issue.

If a non US court or legislature decided to take a more restrictive stance
than US law then I suppose we'd have to add another clause to
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:PD-Art There are already ones in
there for Mexico, Samoa, Côte d'Ivoire and a few others.

WereSpielChequers