[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia India Program Trust

Barry Newstead bnewstead at wikimedia.org
Fri Nov 11 18:58:33 UTC 2011

A couple of clarifications:

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Béria Lima <berialima at gmail.com> wrote:

> Disclaimer: I'm not Indian, and I don't know much about the Indian
> operations, but I needed to answer about something I do know.
>

> *Anirudh said: WMIN and WIPT will theoretically compete for funding within
> >> India, much of which will be allocated to WIPT, given that it is
> >> professionalized (and because we never had a chance) and in WMF's good
> >> graces.*
> >>

> > *And Bishakha answered: As I understand it, WMIN has received a grant
> > from WMF, so I can't understand how it "never had a chance".**  *
> >

> Ok talking about grants: WMIN has so far 2 grants: a Bootstrap
> Grant<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:WM_IN/Bootstrap_Grant>and
> a grant for WCI
> 2011 <
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:WM_IN/WikiConference_India_2011
> >(since
> this
> grant<
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:WM_IN/Wiki_Community_development_in_India_and_newsletter
> >state
> in the begin that is not a chapter grant, despite the fact that has
> the WMIN in the title). One is for a ver specif thing - a conference - who
> is being leading by 2 "fellows" of WMF.

So there are some technical issues that we were dealing with regarding the
funding of the conference that did not enable it to be a grant. Also, I
think it is a mistake to say that the conference is the product of a WMF
initiative or is being controlled by WMF. The conference was and is a
community initiative with lots of participation. We provided a small
stipend to help once it was clear that the logistical activities required
full time resources.  WMF or the trust as not run the conference...we have
provided funds to enable it.

> The second one has nothing to do
> with professionalization.

The grant does actually help to put some building blocks in place such as
supporting accounting and legal needs. Also, nothing stopping the chapter
from building further in the future...since the grant process remains open
as do communication lines with WMF and the community.

> So when comes to funding, if they decide to
> collect funds locally, would be incredible difficult to "fight against" the
> WIPT who is full of employees[1] who are used to work with that for years.
> That was - I believe - Anirudh's point.

As I said, there is no reason to "fight against" anyone.  For example,
Hisham, Gautam and others all worked to find sponsorships for the
Wikiconference India. It was a collaborative effort, not a competition.
Funding should and will flow to program work in various places.  In some
cases, donors may be more comfortable giving to one org or another...so it
may actually be an asset to have more than one alternative.

> [1] I'm in WMIN ML and I see a hiring once per month, sometimes more.

There have been three consultant hires in India to date - Hisham,  Nitika
and Shiju. As mentioned in the past, the team is expected to be 5 people.

_____
> *Béria Lima*
> <http://wikimedia.pt/>(351) 925 171 484
>
> *Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
> livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a
> construir esse sonho. <http://wikimedia.pt/Donativos>*
>
> Best,
Barry