[Foundation-l] Scheduled intermittent downtime on all Wikimedia projects on May 24

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 25 13:50:18 UTC 2011

> Wikipedia going down without a temporary explanation page is roughly of the
> same scale as apple.com going down with no explanation, google.com going
> down with no explanation, microsoft.com going down with no explanation, and
> so on.

WHOAH THERE IS QUITE SOME SELF ENTITLEMENT THERE.

Microsoft revenue: $62B (though you should look at their internet division losses)
Google revenue: $29B
Apple revenue: $62B
Wikimedia revenue: ???

Tech staffing and such is somewhat proportional :)

Oh, by the way, I don't know where you look, but I somewhat missed communication about maintenance events ongoing in Google or Microsoft or Apple - you think they have none?
Did you get lots of clarification why your gmail was unreachable?
Did you get explanation/information why search index was outdated?
Do they use site-wide sitenotices for that or what?

> "Top 5 website" means we have that kind of use, perception, stature -- and a
> similar scale of response within the general public if it suddenly doesn't
> work.  Most members of the public do not have the insight you or I would.

*shrug*, would be interesting if anyone would actually explain policies of other website incident handling.

Domas