[Foundation-l] Interesting legal action

Philippe Beaudette philippe at wikimedia.org
Sun May 22 03:22:01 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Sarah <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:

> For those who deal with the BLP queue on OTRS, how serious is the
> problem of BLP attack pages, whether rising to the level of defamation
> or not?
>
> I know the problem exists -- anyone who edits can see it -- but I'd be
> interested in hearing from OTRS people how pervasive it is in terms of
> what's reported to them. Does anyone keep figures?

I asked Christine to do a quick scan, what follows is her response:

*There isn't an exact "BLP" queue in OTRS; there is one for overall quality
(called, what else, Quality) which is where a lot of the BLP concerns go, as
they are quality issues.

Of the current tickets in the queue, not quite half are BLP related (96 out
of 209).

Of those BLP tickets, about 15% of them mention being attacked/articles
being biased or slanted.  I didn't do any deep research into whether the
accounts are true or not; this is merely the perception of the person
writing in, which is the most relevant measure for the topic currently under
discussion.

*
*Also of those BLP tickets, the same percentage specifically mention
libelous information, slander, etc.  *
*
*
Hope that helps,