[Foundation-l] CentralNotice use

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Thu May 19 14:38:03 UTC 2011

Orionist wrote:
> I thought these notices *are* displayed for logged-in users only, if they
> aren't, then they should. At least the POTY notice doesn't show up for me
> when I'm logged out.

It would also help if certain votes/etc. could be targeted to only eligible
voters. For example, if a vote requires X edits, having a wgEditCount or a
wgGlobalEditCount variable would be invaluable. That way the banners could
be configured to be hidden for most users during runs such as the Picture of
the Year campaign, where most users are not eligible to vote.

I know there's a bug about wgEditCount already. It might make sense to file
one about wgGlobalEditCount as well.

I encourage everyone to take a look at the previous Requests for comment:
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Global_banners>.

I just started a guidelines page at Meta-Wiki as well:
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CentralNotice_banner_guidelines>. It'd be
great if someone could make that page not suck. :-)  (I'm assuming a similar
page doesn't already exist; if so, please feel free to redirect.)

MZMcBride