[Foundation-l] Commons as an art gallery?

Ilario Valdelli valdelli at gmail.com
Mon May 16 16:22:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> There is a long thread on the Commons and Gendergap lists about today's
> featured image on Commons:
>
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/commons-l/2011-May/
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/gendergap/2011-May/
>
> It's an original piece of art by a Wikimedian, "in the style of" erotic
> manga:

I could continue to say what said in the past.

Commons is a "common repository for the various projects".

Now the real problem is that Commons is in conflict with other
projects because "original works" of pure fantasy (I don't include
"original works" to document the reality) are not accepted, except in
Commons.

In general if I would use these images in Wikipedia, for example, I
would be in conflict because I cannot use "original works" in this
project (and this image is a "strict" original work).

In my opinion Commons is moving the project in an incorrect direction
and I would appreciate a lot if Commons will divide the project to
receive "original works" of pure fantasy in one repository and the
documentary work in another in order to help the other project to
understand what is original and what is not original.

Commons should have the same rule of Wikisource/Wikibooks.

Ilario