[Foundation-l] Fwd: Copyright problems of images from India

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:15:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Thomas Morton
<morton.thomas at googlemail.com> wrote:

> In a number of years things may change, and ultimately the photo will
> definitely be out of copyright wherever and whenever published though the
> simple passing of time :)

If the US keeps its speed of extending copyright by 20 years in 22
years time, it can be *very* long... Assuming we don't know who took
the picture back in 1941, in the year 2990 there would still be
reasonable doubt whether the photographer had died before 2020, which
would be necessary to be out of copyright according to the then valid
rule of life plus 970 years.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com