[Foundation-l] Fwd: Copyright problems of images from India

Achal Prabhala aprabhala at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:00:06 UTC 2011

Sreejith's point is that proving the date of authorship in commonly used
religious iconography is difficult; it's also difficult to work through
the dates of derivatives of the 'original' work in order to establish
which versions have what period - if any - of copyright validity left.

For what it's worth, Indian copyright law does have provisions to
address orphan works. It's just that the provisions (linked to below my
text) are rather cumbersome, and ultimately do not result in a public
domain license being applied on the work even if it is found that the
author is untraceable or doesn't exist; it merely results in a license
to the individual who applied to use the work, possibly even the payment
of royalty to the 'public account.'

Current Indian copyright law has provisions around orphan works for
'Indian works' only (where questions of citizenship, as you described
below, could play some part), but the law is about to be amended, and
the new copyright law, effective very shortly, applies the orphan works
provisions to all/any works vis-a-vis their use/effect in India, so this
question will soon be moot.

But the larger point is that unless one can definitively show that a
work is out of copyright in terms of years since published or by the
terms of an alternative copyright license, the law does not offer a way
to deposit that work in the public domain.

Current Indian copyright law (with suggested amendments from government
and civil society): See s.31A -
http://www.altlawforum.org/intellectual-property/advocacy/proposed-amendment-to-the-copyright-act-1957

Proposed amended copyright law (soon to be tabled in parliament): See
s.31A - *http://tinyurl.com/3tb7drx*