[Foundation-l] Fwd: Copyright problems of images from India

Strainu strainu10 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 11:49:33 UTC 2011

2011/5/10 Sreejith K. <sreejithk2000 at gmail.com>:
> I wonder how the citizenship of the author helps. The only thing that is of
> importance in a PD claim is the date of first publishing.

Not really. For instance, in Europe the copyright protection runs for
70 years from the DEATH of the author, not the first publish date. So
if the author is European (or American, for that matter), the picture
might not yet be PD. I don't know the rules in India, but perhaps
there the protection period runs from the publication date, in which
case the citizenship of the author is important.

Strainu