No subject

Tue Mar 15 17:42:23 UTC 2011

> Some charities, however, have the word "Foundation" in their official
> names. Examples of these are the Yele Haiti Foundation, the New York
> Foundation for the Arts, the William J. Clinton Foundation and the
> Wikimedia Foundation. Despite their names, all of them are charities;
> they rely on donations from others to sustain themselves and the programs
> and services they offer. On second reference, any one of them should be
> referred to as a "charity," not a "foundation."

Source: http://topics.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/26/phrases-gone-astray-2/

It appears that nobody appears to actually follow this rule (including the
"New York Times"), but I find the nuance interesting. I imagine one would
perform better than the other during fundraising; perhaps there's hard data
on that.

MZMcBride