No subject

Tue Mar 15 17:42:23 UTC 2011

(American Political Science Association) Teaching and Learning
conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico. They presented a workshop about
integrating Wikipedia into the classroom and provided outreach and
education at an exhibitor booth. Conference website:
http://www.apsanet.org/content_31632.cfm

=3D=3D GLOBAL DEVELOPMENT =3D=3D

=A0 =A0 =A0Global Development Highlights

=A0 =A0* India Catalyst activities in support of the community accelerated
=A0 =A0 =A0with the appointment of Hisham Mundol as consultant for India
=A0 =A0 =A0Programs (
=A0 =A0 =A0http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaannounce-l/2011-Fe=
bruary/000121.html
=A0 =A0 =A0); Barry traveled to India to introduce Hisham to communities in
=A0 =A0 =A0Pune, Mumbai and Bangalore.
=A0 =A0* Progress on several key GD initiatives (see below for details and
=A0 =A0 =A0links): Brazil Catalyst draft report, Global Education program,
=A0 =A0 =A0Mobile Research and Editor Survey Research
=A0 =A0* Shared draft fundraising agreement with the chapters for
=A0 =A0 =A0discussion and made progress with chapters on getting chapter
=A0 =A0 =A0agreements in place consistently.

=A0 =A0 =A0Chapter Relations and Grants

=A0 =A0* Announced the hiring of Asaf Bartov as Head of Global South
=A0 =A0 =A0Relationships (to start in March), along with Moushira Elamrawy =
as
=A0 =A0 =A0contractor supporting Chapter Relations:
=A0 =A0 =A0http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaannounce-l/2011-Fe=
bruary/000113.html
=A0 =A0* Prepared draft of 2011/12 Fundraising agreement with the community
=A0 =A0 =A0for comment:
=A0 =A0 =A0http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2011/Chapters_Agreeme=
nt
=A0 =A0* WMF and 9 of 12 chapters participating in the 2010/11 fundraiser
=A0 =A0 =A0met the deadline to share information about their online revenue
=A0 =A0 =A0through January 31:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tracking_Progress_for_2011_chapters_fundrais=
er_and_reporting

No new grants were funded in February.

=A0 =A0 =A0Brazil Catalyst

For a full update: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Brazil_Catalyst_Project

=A0 =A0* A draft of the Brazil "Action Plan" was completed with the help of
=A0 =A0 =A0about 20 interviews of Brazilian Wikimedians. Based on the
=A0 =A0 =A0detailed work led by Carolina Rossini, the general macro-actions
=A0 =A0 =A0proposed are:
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0o Establish WMF's presence in Brazil and hire a National
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Program Director.
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0o Engage in projects that recruit entirely new sets of r=
eaders
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0and editors such as national events, global events, =
and
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0university partnerships.
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0o Establish a new dynamic with the existing community.

=A0 =A0 =A0India Programs

=A0 =A0* Barry Newstead traveled to India for a brief trip during which he
=A0 =A0 =A0introduced Hisham to the Indian community and chapter, and held
=A0 =A0 =A0community meetings in Mumbai, Pune and Bangalore to introduce an=
=A0 =A0 =A0discuss community activities and expectations.
=A0 =A0* Met with chapter in Bangalore to discuss chapter's way forward and
=A0 =A0 =A0its collaboration with the community.
=A0 =A0* Met and conversed with multiple community members, Bishakha Datta,
=A0 =A0 =A0and Achal Prabhala to discuss Foundation activities in India.
=A0 =A0* Reviewed existing information on India programs, and prepared a
=A0 =A0 =A0draft "India Plan" including objectives, key initiatives, time
=A0 =A0 =A0plans, and team structure:
=A0 =A0 =A0http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_-_India_prog=
rams.
=A0 =A0* Initiated discussions with Foundation staff on key initiatives:
=A0 =A0 =A0campus outreach, research and communications; all to be taken
=A0 =A0 =A0forward and fleshed out in Hisham's upcoming SF visit.

=A0 =A0 =A0Mobile Strategy

We finalized the schedule and methodology of conducting research to
understand mobile user experience in India and Brazil.

=A0 =A0 =A0Editor Survey 2011

The Wikimedia Foundation is planning a new, comprehensive survey of the
Wikipedia editor community. In February, we:

=A0 =A0* Finalized the questionnaire after several iterations.
=A0 =A0* Hired a vendor for programming and cleaning of the survey.
=A0 =A0* Began work with volunteer translators to get the survey translated
=A0 =A0 =A0in several languages.
=A0 =A0* Began work with the engineering team to launch the survey on the
=A0 =A0 =A0website.

We should launch the survey in the last week of March or the first week
of April.

=A0 =A0 =A0Offline

=A0 =A0* Worked with community members on the best ways to select high
=A0 =A0 =A0quality and important articles to create article collections. Te=
ch
=A0 =A0 =A0began helping us think about how we can develop tools to assist.
=A0 =A0* Distribution is happening already in several parts of the world.
=A0 =A0 =A0For example, enabled by a grant provided by WMF, a group of Keny=
an
=A0 =A0 =A0Wikimedians began uploading prototype offline versions of offlin=
=A0 =A0 =A0Wikipedia (via DVD & USB sticks) onto computers in schools
=A0 =A0 =A0throughout Kenya. Demand is very high here.

=A0 =A0 =A0Global University Programs

Frank Schulenburg, Jessie Wild, Rod Dunican and Annie Lin kicked off the
strategy planning process for a Wikimedia Global University Program. A
preliminary version of their strategy paper can be found on the outreach
wiki:

http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_University_Program

This is still in the planning and discussion phase. At this point, the
general recommendations are to

=A0 1. Create a platform for professors from all countries to be able to
=A0 =A0 =A0easily incorporate the editing of Wikipedia in the classroom and=
,
=A0 2. Empower students to form student groups to facilitate outreach and
=A0 =A0 =A0editing.

=A0 =A0 =A0Communications

/February saw a range of media coverage, mostly following up on the
global activites around Wikipedia 10 and on the presence of a gender gap
within Wikipedia's editor community (see highlights, omitted below). The
Foundation distributed a press release in conjunction with up-time
monitoring service 'WatchMouse' and finalized design and released the
Strategic Plan summary document./

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Major Stories and Coverage through February

=A0 =A0After its January story about the gender gap, the New York Times set
=A0 =A0up a special debate portal and invited scholars on the topic to
=A0 =A0contribute views, and dozens of other outlets followed up on the
=A0 =A0question, e.g..

=A0 =A0* http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/02/02/where-are-the-wome=
n-in-wikipedia
=A0 =A0* http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/01/31/133375307/facing-se=
rious-gender-gap-wikipedia-vows-to-add-more-women-contributors
=A0 =A0* http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/8293217/Why-Wikipe=
dias-editors-are-mostly-male.html

*Behind the Scenes at Wikipedia.IN*

=A0 =A0A thoughtful overview of the Wikimedia movement in India and the
=A0 =A0diversity of activities taking place in all corners of the country.
=A0 =A0The story features an interview with Jimmy Wales and focuses on work
=A0 =A0being done to support Indic language projects.

=A0 =A0* http://epaper.hindustantimes.com/PUBLICATIONS/HT/HM/2011/02/13/Art=
icleHtmls/BEHIND-THE-SCENES-AT-WIKIPEDIAIN-13022011018002.shtml?Mode=3D1

*Other worthwhile reads:*

=A0 =A0* http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/our-wiki-wiki-ways-be=
autiful-in-imperfection/story-e6frg6zo-1226008081388
=A0 =A0* http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2011/feb/19/interview-jimmy-=
wales-wikipedia
=A0 =A0* http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/wikipedias_goal_1_billion_mon=
thly_visitors_by_2015.php

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Major Announcements and Releases in February 2011

*Wikimedia Foundation selects Watchmouse monitoring service* (February
9, 2011):
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/February_2011_Wikimedia_=
selects_Watchmouse_for_monitoring_services

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Major Product Releases in February 2011

*Wikimedia's Strategic Plan Summary*:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Movement_Strategic_Plan_Summa=
ry

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Blog during February 2011

During the month of February, WMF's blog highlighted 8 topics:

=A0 =A0* Wikipedia=92s gender gap
=A0 =A0* WikiProject Medicine urges medical community to edit.
=A0 =A0* Wikimedia selects Watchmouse for global monitoring services.
=A0 =A0* Welcome Wikimedia=92s 30th Global Chapter, Wikimedia Espa=F1a.
=A0 =A0* Wikipedia Contribution Team Plans Events Throughout UK and Beyond.
=A0 =A0* Wikipedia Enters the Sun King=92s Court.
=A0 =A0* Sue Gardner joins Ada Initiative advisory board.
=A0 =A0* Wikimedia presents its five-year strategic plan.

All posts for February can be found at:
http://blog.wikimedia.org/blog/2011/02/.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Media contact through February, 2011

WMF received 15 media contacts from organizations including BBC World
Service, ABC Australia, Marie Claire, Times of London, Fast Company,
Communications Daily, Read Write Web, NOS Dutch Public Television, The
Guardian (UK), Women in Business, Data Center Dynamics, and Visionary
Productions "On the road in America".

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_room/Media_Contact#February_2011

=3D=3D HUMAN RESOURCES =3D=3D

=A0 =A0 =A0Staff Changes

*New Hires*

=A0 =A0* Geoffrey Brigham, General Counsel (Legal) =96 FT Permanent
=A0 =A0* Jon Davis, Interim Office IT Manager (Finance) =96 Temp Full Time
=A0 =A0* Tony Le, Controller (Finance) =96 FT Permanent
=A0 =A0* Janice Tud, HR Generalist (HR) =96 FT Permanent

*New Contractors*

=A0 =A0* Hisham Mundol (Global Development)
=A0 =A0* Moushira Elamwray (Global Development)

*Extended Contracts*

=A0 =A0* Michelle Paulson (Legal) =96 Temp Full Time
=A0 =A0* Christine Moellenbrandt, Community Associate (Community) =96 Temp
=A0 =A0 =A0Full Time
=A0 =A0* Joshua VanDavier, Development Associate (Community) =96 Temp Full =
Time

*New Job Postings*

=A0 =A0* Senior QA Engineer (Tech)
=A0 =A0* Office Assistant, Travel (Finance/Admin)
=A0 =A0* Major Gifts Associate (Community)
=A0 =A0* Grants & Information Officer (Community)

*Contract Ended*

=A0 =A0* Deniz Gultekin, Community Associate
=A0 =A0* Tara Harwood, Head of Office Admin
=A0 =A0* Steven Ma, Community Associate

=A0 =A0 =A0Statistics

*Vital Stats:* Total Employee Count

=A0 =A0Plan: 81
=A0 =A0Actual: 63
=A0 =A0Attrition: 3

Remaining Open positions to fiscal year end: 29

*Diversity stats:*

=A0 =A0* 63 Total Employees (includes people considered international
=A0 =A0 =A0employees)
=A0 =A0* 42.9% female employees; 6.9% increase from 7/1/10
=A0 =A0* 31.8% ethnic minorities; 5.8% increase from 7/1/10
=A0 =A0* 38.1% foreign nationals; 1.9% increase in U.S. hiring from 7/1/10
=A0 =A0* 42.9% Wikimedians; 0.86% increase from 7/1/10
=A0 =A0* 71.4% have lived abroad; 1.4% increase from 7/1/10

Real-time feed for HR updates:

=A0 =A0http://identi.ca/wikimediaatwork or http://twitter.com/wikimediaatwo=
rk

=A0 =A0 =A0New Events

The HR Department has been digging into some exciting work since the new
year began. Here's a recap of what we've been working on broken out by
function:

*Recruiting*

We worked on increasing our hiring capacity by adding new recruiting
firms and optimizing and streamlining our recruiting pipeline. We also
worked very closely with hiring managers to collaboratively rethink the
current process and address any challenges we're finding.

*HR Documentation*

The HR department, with the addition of our new generalist Janice Tud,
undertook a documentation project to raise level of awareness regarding
process in hiring and staff development.

*HR Metrics*

HR started tracking diversity stats (see below) to better understand the
make up of our culture. We were excited to see that we are well above
the average for technology companies in several areas.

We also worked on tracking our capactiy to hire. This information is
imperfect, but we are getting closer to understanding our hiring
ability. As we get better data we will talk about it in more detail.

*Staff Development*

Cyn and Daniel attended a seminar at LinkedIn to learn about thier new
recruiting funtionality. While the seminar was fairly cheesy and
targeted at less tech savvy organizations than ourselves, it was a good
learning experience. It may lead to a deeper level of engagement with
LinkedIn to help us find the right people for our organization.

*HRIS (HR Information System)*

The HR team decided on, and began implementation of, a new database to
help track and manage personnel information. The software is called
OrangeHRM and is an open source project:

http://www.orangehrm.com/

The implementation team at OrangeHRM has been great, and we will be
ready to launch in March. This will go a long way towards
professionalizing our department and providing us with accurate data.

=3D=3D FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION =3D=3D

=A0 =A0 =A0Finance

=A0 =A0* Mid-year financials were published on the Foundation website at
=A0 =A0 =A0http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Financial_reports.
=A0 =A0* Started planning for the development of the 2011-12 annual
=A0 =A0 =A0financial plan.
=A0 =A0* Built rough forecast of revenue and spending for end of 2010-11
=A0 =A0 =A0fiscal year; expect to be approximately 5 to 10% underspent at
=A0 =A0 =A0year-end.
=A0 =A0* Continued to work with Marcin to warp up Wikimania Gdansk
=A0 =A0 =A0reporting, funds collections and invoice payment.

=A0 =A0 =A0Administration

=A0 =A0* Departments received individual purchasing cards, which will make
=A0 =A0 =A0the coding and reporting of expenses paid by credit card more
=A0 =A0 =A0efficient.
=A0 =A0* Began searches for interim Head of Office Administration,
=A0 =A0 =A0permanent Travel Assistant and Help Desk associate.

=3D=3D LEGAL =3D=3D

=A0 =A0* Geoff began his orientation, starting to learn the ropes at the
=A0 =A0 =A0Foundation and within the community, and beginning the developme=
nt
=A0 =A0 =A0of legal strategy and 2011-12 plan inputs.
=A0 =A0* Geoff continues to be supported by Michelle Paulson, associate
=A0 =A0 =A0counsel, who has maintained the legal office since last October.
=A0 =A0* Sue and Geoff met with the staff of the Electronic Frontier
=A0 =A0 =A0Foundation for pizza & discussion.

=3D=3D VISITORS AND GUESTS =3D=3D

=A0 1. Manish Shah (Intuit - txtweb.com demo)
=A0 2. Manish Maheshwari (Intuit - txtweb.com demo)
=A0 3. Yohei Murakami (Language Grid Project)
=A0 4. Sonia Eunhai Kim Felix (South Korea) (PPI consuls wives and
=A0 =A0 =A0honorary consul group)
=A0 5. Florence de Noray (France) (PPI consuls wives and honorary consul
=A0 =A0 =A0group)
=A0 6. Luisa Scapolla (Italien) (PPI consuls wives and honorary consul grou=
p)
=A0 7. Satsuki Kawada (Singapore) (PPI consuls wives and honorary consul
=A0 =A0 =A0group)
=A0 8. Gayle Evans (Great Britain) (PPI consuls wives and honorary consul
=A0 =A0 =A0group)
=A0 9. Clelia Piragibe (Brazil) (PPI consuls wives and honorary consul grou=
p)
=A010. Eva Voisin (Honorary Consul Hungary) (PPI consuls wives and
=A0 =A0 =A0honorary consul group)
=A011. Liliane Koziol (Honorary Consul Madagaskar) (PPI consuls wives and
=A0 =A0 =A0honorary consul group)
=A012. Eny Arguelles (MD, USA) (PPI consuls wives and honorary consul group=
)
=A013. Mary Staunton (Ireland) (PPI consuls wives and honorary consul group=
)
=A014. Josette Osgood (Honorary Consul C=F4te d=92Ivoire) (PPI consuls wive=
=A0 =A0 =A0and honorary consul group)
=A015. Huguette Wildschutz (Luxembourg) (PPI consuls wives and honorary
=A0 =A0 =A0consul group)
=A016. Brigitte Brockmann (Germany) (PPI consuls wives and honorary
=A0 =A0 =A0consul group)
=A017. Martha Hertelendy (USA) (PPI consuls wives and honorary consul group=
)
=A018. Kathleen Kimura (Great Britain) (PPI consuls wives and honorary
=A0 =A0 =A0consul group)
=A019. Gerlind Rothen (Germany) (PPI consuls wives and honorary consul grou=
p)
=A020. Latoya Peterson (Community Member - WikiHistories project)
=A021. Gina Glantz (Consultant)
=A022. Erik Swan (Splunk)
=A023. Ward Cunningham (CTO CitizenGlobal)
=A024. Jerome Gary (Producer/Director) and 15 person crew
=A0 =A0 =A0(arabic-speaking world 'On the road in America)
=A025. Valerie Aurora (Ada Initiative)
=A026. Cheol Ryul and Colleague (Korean Wikimedian)
=A027. Derrick Coetzee(Wikipedia Campus Ambassadors)

--
Erik M=F6ller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

--=20