[Foundation-l] Message to community about community decline

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.rs
Tue Mar 29 08:40:21 UTC 2011

On 03/29/2011 09:14 AM, teun spaans wrote:
> Quote:Many volunteers don't have a lot to write.
> This sounds like an opinion, not like a fact. Even on English wikipedia, we
> still have about two hundred thousand plant species to describe, and
> millions of animal species. And then I'm not talking about fungi and other
> kingdoms

On of the perennial projects of Wikimedia Serbia is to try to reach out
to various amateur organizations and show them how they could add to
Wikipedia in their field. Examples include amateur astronomers, model
railway collectors, Esperantists, birdwatchers...

> I do agree with some of your remarks about motivation. One way to motivate
> people might be to provide more information on the process that google maps
> uses to locate wikipedia artciles to its maps. It's much nicer if lots of
> people actually read 'your' article.

Perhaps something as simple as prominently displaying the number of
article views would be very encouraging to contributors? (Although, I
shudder to imagine the edit wars it could spawn...)