[Foundation-l] keeping localization in mind

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Wed Mar 23 17:53:55 UTC 2011

2011/3/23 Ryan Kaldari <rkaldari at wikimedia.org>:
> On 3/23/11 6:17 AM, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
>> ==WikiLove, Twinkle and Huggle==
>> Sue mentions the WikiLove gadget in her letter. To the best of my
>> knowledge WikiLove only works in the English Wikipedia, but the letter
>> invites all readers to use it. Believe it or not, some Wikipedias
>> don't even have barnstars.
>
> All of these gadgets, including Wikilove, exist in other languages. Not
> mentioning them because they haven't been ported to every language would
> be a bit extreme.

It exists in some languages; I didn't count, but it probably doesn't
exist in even half of them. Correct me if i'm wrong. The letter is
addressed to community members in all language projects and it
mentions Wikilove as if it was universal.

Consider this wording: "In the English Wikipedia there's a tool called
'WikiLove'; if your Wikipedia has it, try it; if your Wikipedia
doesn't have it, consider adapting it." It's factually correct and
constructive. Just saying "Wikilove" and linking to the English
Wikipedia ignores the existence of other language projects.

In the Hebrew translation i took the liberty to translate it
accordingly and added "this tool works only in the English Wikipedia"
in parentheses. (It works in some others, but i didn't have an easy
way to find out in which ones, and in he.wp we don't hand out
barnstars at all, although we are considering to start doing it.)
Translators to other languages just translated that part
word-for-word, leaving the readers confused.

> I also don't really understand your point about
> linking to 'Eternal September'. You say that you aren't suggesting that
> people not link to English Wikipedia, but then what is the point of your
> argument? Are you suggesting that we pre-translate every linked article
> into all 269 languages and then protect them all as well? Obviously that
> isn't very practical.

Yes, it isn't practical. I'm not telling anyone to do that. I'm just
asking people who write something that is supposed to be translated to
keep that in mind. See the subject.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
"We're living in pieces,
 I want to live in peace." - T. Moore