[Foundation-l] multilingual mailing list

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 08:51:02 UTC 2011

Joan Goma, 15/03/2011 14:59:
> If we could filter the noise, in each monolingual list and then record the
> signal and translate it to the other languages this could enrich the
> conclusions and make all the people feel part of the global project.
>
> But I don’t know how to do this.

Perhaps a single multilingual list could efficiently work as a bunch of
monolingual lists if we used mailman "topics" to label messages by
language; each user could then set in its preferences which languages he
wants to receive (only the languages he understands well, or also some
related languages, or every language because he's willing to use machine
translators or is not annoyed by non-understandable messages). In this
manner, you could avoid fragmenting foundation-l (and other similar
lists) but each subset of users could avoid being overwhelmed by
messages in a foreign and not wanted language.
But I've never seen mailman topics in use and I don't know how and if
they work.

Nemo