[Foundation-l] breaking English Wikipedia apart

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 20:08:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 8:01 AM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 March 2011 09:53, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>[...]
>
> David, I strongly object to your continued twisting of my words, and your
> personal crusade to turn the English Wikipedia Arbitration Committee into a
> "personal attacks" police force.  That was never the intended scope of the
> committee, and it remains outside of its scope.  We're currently working
> through a desysop process in which one of the elements in evidence is the
> administrator's alleged incivility:  I'm not seeing a huge groundswell of
> support from you or any other former arbitrators for the Arbitration
> Committee having tackled this issue, and I don't see any historical evidence
> of committees prior to 2009 having addressed this issue either, including
> the time that you were on the committee.

There isn't really a good community venue for thanking the Arbitration
Committee for picking up a case, particularly sensitive ones,
particularly involving administrators.  It's hard to comment on the
Arbcom talk pages; it's hard to comment like that on case pages, as
it's not really germane to cases, etc.

With that said - Let me, as an interested party and community member,
say this - THIS community member is extremely grateful that Arbcom has
picked up that case, and attempted to handle it with discretion,
though the user did not ultimately wish to avail themselves of that.

Please do not mistake the general public silence on this matter as
disapproval.  I read a lot of people's concern in their posts on
events leading up to the initial action, and I believe that had Arbcom
not acted the community would have had to in not too distant future,
and that would have been undoubtedly a messier situation.

Thank you, all of you.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com