[Foundation-l] Access to academic journals (was Re: Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser)

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at gmx.de
Wed Mar 9 21:11:34 UTC 2011

Am 08.03.11 22:14, schrieb Stephanie Daugherty:
> As far as academic journals go most people have some access and don't know
> it. Most public libraries subscribe to one or more services, and a library
> card is all they need for that access.
>
> Any wmf sponsored access plan needs to keep this in mind and encourage
> editors to use access they already have first.

I think this is an important point. And apart from that, the WMF could,
say, give access to commercial databases to some committed wikipedians
who offer to do online research for you if you do not manage all right
on your own. Ask a WikiProject for help if you want to know more. I
think that could also be a feasible way to proceed here.

Regards,
Jürgen.