[Foundation-l] Access to academic journals (was Re: Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser)

Stephanie Daugherty sdaugherty at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 21:14:56 UTC 2011

As far as academic journals go most people have some access and don't know
it. Most public libraries subscribe to one or more services, and a library
card is all they need for that access.

Any wmf sponsored access plan needs to keep this in mind and encourage
editors to use access they already have first.

If we did that and limited to established editors by request we could
probably license by number of seats and come out ahead with respect to
efficient use of resources. Targeting these efforts towards areas of
systematic bias would also be a way in which the foundation could gently
steer projects without actually exerting any editorial control.
Anyway great brainstorming hope something comes of it.