[Foundation-l] Access to academic journals (was Re: Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 09:08:32 UTC 2011

On 8 March 2011 21:50, Melissa Hagemann <MHagemann at sorosny.org> wrote:

> It would be wonderful if we could find a way for the WMF and OA
> communities to more closely collaborate. Aubrey is right in that to a
> large extent, OA is not well known outside the library community.

Big time. They're a natural fit for what we do.

> Given
> the reach of WMF, there seems that there must be a way to try to raise
> greater awareness of the materials which are being made available
> through OA.

On en:wp, bring awareness in relevant WikiProjects to OA journals in
their area? A programme to do that, apart from greatly bringing up the
hits for the journals in question, would be highly publicisable and
make OA journals into news in themselves. Everybody wins, except the
commercial science publishers, and that's *just fine*.

- d.