[Foundation-l] Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser

SlimVirgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 04:03:48 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 21:54, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
>> The point is that we seem to be
>> raising more money than we need, which is arguably unfair to donors,
>> then not spending it in ways that increase quality or help the
>> volunteers, which is arguably unfair to us. That's causing bad
>> feeling. Whether it's fair or not is beside the point. The bad feeling
>> is fairly widespread, and is only going to get worse.
>
>> Sarah
>
> I wonder if this is a fact, fairly widespread bad feeling?
>
> That established, the next question would be why.
>
> My own feeling is that the amount of money is so small, as is the staff,
> and special projects, in relationship to potential needs that I never
> thought of having a bad feeling, at least not about that.
>
> Fred

I don't know how to judge how widespread it is. I'm judging only by
the fact that these issues keep being raised on various lists and not
addressed, and by contact I have with Wikipedians who've not commented
here.

Politicians in England used to say that, for every constituent who
writes a letter, another 100 have the same concerns but haven't taken
the time to write.

Why is there a feeling alienation? Because the Foundation is raising
millions of dollars from people who read our articles, but isn't
spending the money on helping to increase the quality of the articles,
or make life easier for the volunteers. It's all about moving to San
Francisco (how did that help?), opening new offices overseas,
employing new fundraisers, etc. Let me apologize here if that sounds
too cynical or unfair. I'm just giving a worm's eye view, which I
accept may be uninformed, but it's what things look like from down
here in the mud. :)

Some light shed in our direction would help enormously.

Sarah